New Zealand Border Reopening to International Students
On 11 May, the New Zealand Government announced an earlier date for reopening the border and reconnecting New Zealand with the world. New Zealand’s border will now be fully reopened from 11.59pm on 31 July 2022– three months earlier than originally planned. This means that international students are eligible to apply for visas to study in New Zealand from 31 July 2022.
Along with this exciting news, there are also some important announcements about the post-study work visa policy and a new “Green list” of 85 hard-to-fill occupations that provides a priority pathway to residency in New Zealand.
Learn more on Immigration New Zealand website.
As a leading education group across Australasia, UP Education welcomes this good news. We’re already receiving a lot of enquiries about what this means for you so let us share the answers to some of the most common questions relating to this announcement that we’ve received so far:
The new announcement confirmed that you can apply for student visa from 1st August 2022. You can also start to plan and prepare your trip and further study & life in New Zealand.
As soon as you receive the visa, you can travel to New Zealand. This of course depends on the type of visa you are holding or plan to apply for. For international students this is:
- 31 July: Visitor and student visas fully reopen
Yes, absolutely. We will continue to deliver our courses online and face to face for as long as is necessary. We are acutely aware of the challenges still facing many of our students in relation to localised lockdowns and travel restrictions that make it difficult to travel at present.
- Current students & July Intake: We would encourage students to continue with their existing study plan, enrol online with us, and apply for their visas while they are studying. We will provide any supporting documents necessary to help with the visa application.
- October Intake: Students intending to join our October intakes should plan to join us face to face in New Zealand, but as mentioned, we will continue to offer online provision for as long as necessary.
- Education New Zealand provides a rich supply of resources including but not limited to stories and scholarship opportunities to help you to learn more about New Zealand as a destination. You can always find the most updated information on the Education New Zealand website.
- Immigration New Zealand provides the latest information about visa processes. You can find the most updated information on the Immigration New Zealand website.
- To learn more about the programme offerings at UP International College New Zealand, please visit here.
- You can also contact an education agent that is authorized by us to provide you support and assistance in course options. Find an agent.
- If you would like to get in touch directly, please feel free to contact us.